Tuesday, January 31, 2017

What is connection between art and depression ?

I was a member of the Society of Art History during studying at university. . Members of the group were students who had an aim in the future to choose a profession in the field of art history. Students of Medical Institute Psychiatry Faculty offered to make a joint presentation about Art and mental illness. I prepared a report " Mental illness and special signs of disease manifestations in art". Preparing the report, I studied a lot of material about mental illness and I can say the following: it is necessary to distinguish between depression as a disease and as a mood.
We're not psychiatrists, but we use the word depression, when we talk about a temporary state of frustration of a healthy person. In fact, depression as a disease has the characteristics of mental state, when the sick person feels apathetic and does not want to do anything. I think that we can expect a little productive work in this state. To be precise Art history has several well-known artists who are known for mental illness, but they had another diagnosis, not depression.
Even affective insanity has two different mental states , when depression changes to the opposite state of euphoria.
I agree that an artist is very sensitive and has a great imagination, which helps him to create. Of course sensitive artist often has state of frustration, if he has many obstacles and bad living conditions. But an artist must have a lot of energy, will power, and be persistent in order to overcome all obstacles to create great artworks.

2 comments:

  1. sorry, I can not read it because the letters are in dark grey on black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just changed background color. Welcome to read my article

      Delete